Friday, July 15, 2011

NOM Compares New York Equality Votes To Judas' Betrayal of Christ

On the National Organization for Marriages facebook page, they provide a link to more of Senator Diaz's rants regarding the donations that Mayor Michael Bloomberg made to the four Republican senators who voted for the marriage equality bill. Recall that Mayor Bloomberg informed all Senators, that those who voted for the bill would have his guaranteed financial support. In an interview with New York Daily News' Celeste Katz, Mayor Bloomberg defends his donations, telling her that,
They didn’t vote the way I wanted. They voted the right way. They voted the way for freedom, for democracy, for equality, and I think we should all support that 
Supporting somebody because of party is, I think, something that just is as nonsensical a thing as I can think of. Voting for somebody because they do the right thing, particularly when it’s not politically easy to do, that’s exactly the kind of support we should give and I’d like to think that I’m doing the right thing. I owe it to my children.
But that's not even the interesting part of the story...for individuals donate their money to politicans based upon their votes all the time. Do we hear NOM complaining about their supporters donating money to anti-equality Senators? I don't think so. What is really interesting about this story is that the National Organization for Marriage, on their facebook page, has compared the senators who accepted the money to Judas' betrayal of Christ.

All Christians should be outraged that NOM would even insinuate that the donations of $10,300 to these Republicans by Mayor Bloomberg is on equal footing with the betrayal of Christ. To do so not only cheapens one of the most heinous betrayals of history, but also insinuates that allowing individual freedom is on par with sending someone to guaranteed death. All I can say is...wow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails