Thursday, July 15, 2010

Iowans Reacting

Thankfully Iowans are starting to react to the mixed messages that they are getting from the Branstad/Reynolds gubernatorial campain. I wrote a few weeks ago about how we must all closely watch this race, so therefore I will be providing updates when necessary.

The current update comes from an Iowa Independent article, which chronicles Branstads' "flip-flopping" on this issue over the past few years. Unbeknown to me, Branstad used to be the head of Des Moines University, and during his time there, he was a fierce advocate for LGBT rights.

One of his supporters, who also supports gay marriage, sums up the current feeling when she says.
“I heard of your desire to pass a constitutional amendment taking away the right of marriage from many of my fellow Iowans,” said a woman identified as Rachel from Ames. “When I first heard that Iowa had granted this right, I was extremely proud to be an Iowan. I have told many of my out-of-state friends about Iowa’s progressive attitude and how living here is great for families. As a native Iowan I have had to correct many non-Iowans on their views of our state, and I would be ashamed if such a wonderful example of Iowa’s equality were taken away. Marriage is about love, and please don’t take this right away from your fellow Iowans.  You’re the only governor I remember having when I was growing up, and if this is a point on which you will not waver, then you have lost my vote.”
Thankfully, OneIowa, whose facebook page can be found here, has been holding Branstad's feet to the fire on this issue. Hopefully people will start to listen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails